Sunday, November 16, 2008

Knitting Lessons

About a month or so ago, my friend Lana wanted to crochet a blanket for her sister who had just had a baby (see cute baby pictures of Will a couple posts back!) so our friend Deanna showed her a stitch that would be easy and she made a very cute blanket! Then I showed her another stitch so she could make another blanket, this time for her other sister who just had a baby (see cute baby pictures of Christian a couple posts back!). Well she has had so much fun she decided she wanted to re-learn how to knit as well so she could make people beanies (or socks or mittens) as gifts! So I told her I'd remind myself how to do it and she could come over and we'd figure it out! I thought I remembered most of it but I knew I didn't remember how to cast on (kinda an important part since it is how you start!!) so I IM'd my good friend Diana (who just happens to be the knitting queen) and she found me an awesome video on youtube that showed me exactly how to cast on! She is amazing! And the best part is that once I pulled out my knitting and started working on it again...I totally remembered how to knit! (Diana was right, it is like riding a bike) So here are some of our adventures in knitting!

Lana finishing off the blanket she made for Christian, I needed to show her that before she could start knitting!

When Lana got to my house and I was telling Tanith that I was gonna re-teach her how to knit, she said, 'I've always wanted to learn' so I said, 'come sit right by me and I'll teach you right now, I can start teaching you so that you are working by the time Lana is ready for me to teach her' So she sat down and I taught her! This is her working on the first row after casting on! She caught on sooooo quick!

Ricky wanted to be in a picture! He was a great help with the knitting process! At one point I was knitting and he said, 'Here I'll unroll it for you' and I said very quickly, 'No, No, I need it on there' and he very kindly said 'Well would you like me to cut it off for you?' Now isn't he just so nice and helpful!

Look how helpful he is being in this picture!!

This is me showing Lana how to hold the needle and yarn correctly!

Look how good she is doing!

Lana: 'Is this what it's supposed to look like?'
Me: 'Let me see. Looks right to me'

So there is the tale of our knitting lessons! It was so fun! I'm very surprised at how much I remembered...I think it may have been about 2 years since I last picked up my knitting! And Tanith caught on so quick (we only had one minor set back, when she was knitting the first row it was so tight she could hardly get it to slide on the needles so I had her rip it out and start over, she took it amazingly well and started over and seemed to do a much better job at keeping it loose and consistent) and Lana seemed to kinda remember how it went! I only had time to teach her to cast on and she's gonna come back tomorrow so I can show her the next step!

What a fun way to spend a Sunday evening! If anyone else wants to learn...just let me know! Diana suggested I have a knitting/crochetting party once a month to teach/work on projects!!! And you know I love any excuse for a party!!!

I found this old picture! This is all of my completed knitting projects! And notice the date...seems like it's been almost 3 years since I knitted! Shame on me! I did start a wallaby which is still on the needles in my knitting bag and that is what I picked up and started on while I was showing Lana & Tanith! I was able to start off right where I had left it!

5 comments:

Myndi said...

you ever need a challenge I'd be willing to give it a try.. lol I can crochet, sew and cross stich/embroder(even if I can't spell) and sweadish weaveI could just finish off the grandma old as dirt crafts ;)

Betsey said...

Oh Tara will you PLEASE teach me when I come out to Utah to visit? I have wanted to learn, but I haven't found anyone here to teach me :(

Tara said...

Betsey! I'd LOVE to teach you! You just let me know when you are in Utah again and we'll do it!

Myndi - if you really want to learn, i'd teach ya!

Annie said...

I just picked up my crocheting again last week after a couple of years too! I've been thinking about learning to knit. Yay!

Lana Schow said...

Yay for knitting and crocheting! I went to visit Lesley and Isaac once and I rode Front Runner and trax then caught a bus to their house (which took me 2 1/2 hours) and a guy on trax told me that it was good to see a young person crocheting because you usually just see old people doing that. I laughed. Thanks Tara for showing me how! I would be up for knitting and crocheting parties. :) We kind of already do!