Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Lend Me A Tenor

Another show review!! Yes, go to a lot of shows okay! What can I say...I LOVE theatre! I actually prefer musical theatre over straight plays but this one was REALLY GOOD! Some may argue this won't be a completely unbiased review (and I would have to agree with them) because I do know a couple of people in the show and most of the people who helped with it!

But here is my review anyways! (sorry no fun pictures to go with this one...and the review will be much shorter than last nights)

For starters just let me say it was HILARIOUS!!!! So funny! I laughed out loud multiple times! I thought everyone in the show did a really good job ! They all kept me very entertained!

For those of you who aren't familiar with the show...here is the very condensed synopsis that was on the back of the program. "Tito Morelli, the greatest tenor of his generation, is scheduled to make his US debut with the Cleveland Grand Opera Co., but when Morelli passes out the manager is forced to find a replacement in the most unlikely of places. When Morelli wakes up and joins the scene, the wacdky backstage farce gets even wackier." It's just that...a wacky comedy...no deep meaning...to hidden symbolism...just fun! There is alot of people mistaking other peoples identities and all the complications that come with that!

It is a pretty small show...only one set that doesn't change (so no bad reviews on the set changes) and I don't think they had any body mics. (so no bad reviews on not being able to hear anyone) I believe that there are just mics hanging but I'm not actually sure, but whatever it was...I could hear everyone! And the lighting was excellent! No light pointed right in my eye and no spot light that bounced the whole time it was on! There were lights on the parts that were supposed to be lit! It was such a welcome change from last night!

I have heard that the show was pretty dirty and had a lot of risque moments but that was not the case here. I'm sure they cleaned it up because it was a high school production. There were a few things that were implied but nothing that made me uncomfortable or that I thought was inappropriate! But Casey did have ALOT of stage kisses from some VERY beautiful girls!

I especially loved the little hidden things that were just for me (okay some other people probably got them as well but I choose to think it was put in there for me!) There were 3 I noticed...all done by the character of Max (my friend Casey). The first and the one I was anticipating was when his line was the word 'crap'...he said it like Reba says it on her TV show. CRAAAAAP. (for those of you who know Reba you just heard it in your head, didn't you!!!!) The second was when he was asked a question and he had to answer 'No' but you knew that was a lie so it was "Noooooo". (once again if you know Reba you saw Barbara Jean use her 'lying face' and say 'Nooooo' in your head!) and the last but not least was his line 'sorry' spoken in true Ellen form 'soRRy' (when it goes up in the middle like that you know he didn't mean it) So although that wasn't really a part of the review that any of you would care for...it was a part of the show I especially loved!!!

So there you go...my review for Lend Me A Tenor. In short it was really good, REALLY funny, and I would HIGHLY recommend you go if at all possible!!! They have a show this Thursday, Friday, & then it closes Saturday! (I don't think there is a matinee but I'm not actually sure) So if you haven't seen it yet...hurry! Go! Now! (Well not now, its the middle of the night and everyone has gone home but you know what I mean)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like fun! I'm glad you liked it and I'm especially glad they cleaned it up. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm going to see it tonight! WOO and HOO!