Thursday, December 11, 2008

Another Project!

Okay...I like to have projects and make things! I was talking to my friend Annie the other day and telling her about putting picos on a quilt to bind it and she didn't know what picos were. I tried to explain it to her but was not very successful...so I told her I'd post pictures on my blog so she could see them!!!

Also I figured that this would be a great time to show off one of my greatest accomplishments! The turtle quilt!

My sister LOVES turtles! There are 91 squares...each one is a piece of muslin with a different turtle on it. I found them all over...from clip art on the computer to coloring books to Becky's underwear! Then I blew them up to the right size, traced them with pencil onto pieces of muslin, colored them with crayola crayons, ironed the crayons to set the crayon, then outlined them with black sharpie! (I did not do any of this by myself - I had lots of friends help)

Here are the squares layed out ready to be sewn together
(Notice the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles in the middle and also can you find Philbert from Rocko's Modern Life?)

Then they are pieced together with different turtle material in between(which was VERY hard to find FYI!) Then after the front is pieced together we quilted all the squares and each turtle.
Me & Grandma quilting

Altina, Diana, & Brenna quilting

Then its time for the picos! The extra material is cut into 3 inch squares then ironed to make them into triangles. Then pinned onto the front, sewn (by machine) onto the front, then the back is pinned on and it is hand stitched to finish off!

It only took me about 2 years to make (yes I took a few very long breaks!) but dang it is cute!

Below are some pictures I took after it was finished!
The front
(Annie see the triangles around the edges - those are picos!)

The back - isn't that the cutest material!!!


A couple close ups to see the finished product!!

So there is just one of the many quilts I have made but definitely the most difficult and most work! Most of the time I just take two sheets and tie them together then finish off with picos! Much easier!

2 comments:

Lana Schow said...

I remember quilting with Dustin at your house on that quilt. It looks beautiful all done! Wow...that looks awesome!!!

grandma said...

Hi Tara. I love reading your blog. As to you "picos" In the quilt world these are called "Prairie Points" Where did you learn to call them "picos?" Grandma Wendel