Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Reba Loves Music Man??? & Other Stuff

So I've kinda mentioned some Music Man stuff in previous posts...here's the story. My good friend Leslie is directing it and she has asked me to be her assistant! (Not assistant director, she wants me to be assistant TO THE director) This will be the third show I get to help her with, we did Seussical two years ago and My Fair Lady last year. I love getting to help her...I am pretty much just her go-fer (or anal assistant as we lovingly refer to it!) It has so far been a really great experience for me...I LOVE people and I LOVE getting to be up there helping and meeting new people! So this last week she's been having auditions/call backs for Music Man! I am so glad I am not the director and don't really have anything to do with casting because there have been lots and lots of good people show up! Anyways....the point of this blog....up until a couple of days ago she did not have anyone to choreograph the show for her. Last week we had joked about me doing it for her and this is the start of the texting conversation we had on Monday night (you'll see why I love Leslie so much!!!)

Leslie: Reba came to me in a dream and told me that you were suppose to chorograph music man

Me: Well if Reba said so I am in

Leslie: If i'd have known it would be that easy, i'd have done that weeks ago!

(Now for those of you who know me...please take a moment to picture that in your head...me...choreographing a show...HILLARIOUS! The mental picture alone makes me giggle!)

So imagine my horror of showing up to call backs on Tuesday and finding out that Ryan was actually going to be the one to choreograph it! I asked Leslie why she got my hopes up just to shoot them down :) And after Reba told her it was suppose to be me choreographing it!

So tonight they had call backs for the chorus and smaller roles (I had to miss because it was my annual work party...more about that later) So after it was all over Leslie called me to tell me a funny story. When her husband showed up to pick up their son because his part was done...her husband came in and said "I'm here to audition" to which she was like "what?" (if you know him, you'll know the chances of him being in a show are about as high as the chances of me being in a show!) and he said "Yup, Reba told me to audition" HILLARIOUS!!! So after Leslie & I had a good laugh I told her "Well obviously Reba cares alot about Music Man and wants it to be a good show!" And its true...why else would Reba think I should choreograph and John should audition...she must truly know how to make a memorable show!

And now our new thing is going to be "Reba told me too..."

So on a completely different note...tonight was my annual work party. It actually wasn't bad...Cory was my date (for the 3rd year in a row we realized tonight). It was at the country club and so the food wasn't bad and the entertainment was really good! They sang great arrangements of some great Christmas songs! I love good Christmas music.

And I realized tonight that my two favorite Christmas songs are "O Holy Night" & "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" if they are done correctly! My favorite versions are

O Holy Night by
-Reba (I know I know...that shouldn't come as a surprise but more than the fact that I love everything Reba does...it is a REALLY good version!)
-Josh Groban
-David Phelps (I just recently fell in love with this one...youtube it...I promise you will not be sorry!)
-My friend Isaac (He blows me away every time I've gotten to hear him sing it)
-and many more! (I have seriously considered making a mix cd of only O Holy Night by all different people)

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by
-Michael Webb (my all time favorite version...it was on a tape left in one of the cars on my mission and I fell in love with it and searched for about 4 years after my mission to find a copy of it on cd but have finally found it)
-Barenaked Ladies & Sarah McLaughlin

I also love Angels We Have Heard On High - especially the version by Billy Gilman

Okay I will stop now or I could give you lists and lists of my favorite Christmas songs but I think those are my top favorites!! (atleast for today...subject to change by tomorrow)

1 comment:

Myndi said...

haha Because that mental pic also made me laugh I think you should help ryan choreograph ;) you hang around emily so much it should start to rub off.. ;) that was an awesome story. I love leslie.

on another note. if cory has been your date for 3 years I think it should be obvious you two are ment to be together. ;)(8) I can hear the bells oh don't you hear them chime?(8) ;)